Use the color picker popover if:
Do not use the color picker popover if:
The color picker consists of the following elements:
- The color picker box for setting lightness and saturation
- Sliders for setting the hue and transparency (“alpha channel”)
- Form elements for:
- Displaying the current and new color settings
- Setting the color as a hexadecimal value
- Setting the color as red/green/blue (RGB) value (0 to 255 each)
- Setting the color as hue/saturation/lightness (HSL) value (hue: 0 to 360 degrees, saturation: 0% to 100%, lightness: 0% to 100%)
- Setting the transparency (“alpha channel”) value of the color (0.00 for full transparency to 1.00 for opaque)
The color picker popover comes in 3 flavors:
- Simplified: The simplified color picker offers settings for hue, saturation, and lightness, but not for the alpha channel. It shows the current and new color. Text input is only possible for hex values.
- Default: The default color picker allows all settings. It displays input fields either for red / green / blue / alpha or for hue / saturation / lightness / alpha. End users can switch between both sets of input fields.
Behavior and Interaction
Colors can be selected using mouse/touch or a keyboard:
- Mouse/touch: Users select a combination of saturation and lightness in the color picker box (left click, tap, click and drag, tap and drag). Hue and alpha values are selected with sliders.
- Keyboard: The tab key is used to set the focus on the sliders and input fields. Values are entered using the corresponding input controls. The sliders react on arrow keys, page up / page down keys, as well as on home and end keys. The color picker box is not keyboard-enabled.
- To trigger the color picker popover, use a button or a value help icon from an input field.
- Show the selected color in another place (for example, as a color value inside the triggering input field). The color picker popover closes as soon as a color is selected.
- Use the simplest color picker popover type that does the job.
Want to dive deeper? Follow the links below to find out more about related controls, the SAPUI5 implementation, and the visual design.