Use the color palette if:
- The user needs to select one color from a predefined set of colors.
- The color set contains between 2 and 15 predefined colors.
- There is no need to offer additional colors.
Do not use the color palette if:
- A link to select the default color (optional).
- The color palette, consisting of 2 to 15 color buttons.
- Recent colors (optional). Users can see the last 5 colors they have recently picked. This function helps users to select colors that they have already chosen from the color picker. By default, this feature is visible.
Behavior and Interaction
Users can select a color with the left mouse button, the tap gesture, or by pressing
ENTER on a keyboard. The selected color is not indicated in the control itself.
liveChange event, the color change can have an immediate effect and allows app developers to be aware of real-time color changes before they close the popover that contains it.
- Show the selected color in another place. The color palette does not visualize the selected color.
- Label the color palette.
- If you do not want to show the color palette in-place, consider the color palette popover instead.
Want to dive deeper? Follow the links below to find out more about related controls, the SAPUI5 implementation, and the visual design.