- Ensure the control’s segments are related to each other.
- Use a segmented control to switch between views. In the Campus app, for example, a segmented control is used to switch between Map and List views.
- Do not use a segmented control if the segments are not related to each other.
- Do not use a segmented control to narrow a list. Use a Filter instead.
- Do not include more than one segmented control on the same screen.
A segmented control may be found in a navigation bar, modal window, popover, or “drawer” (i.e., a pulley view controller).
The maximum number of buttons that may appear in a segmented control varies depending on whether the nav bar also includes a title.
In compact, the maximum number of buttons is four when there is a title in the nav bar and two when there is no title.
In regular, the maximum number of buttons is six when there is a title in the nav bar and four when there is no title.